While out shopping for necessities over the last few weeks, Luke Steiner made an observation. He noticed that many people were not following the new social guidelines to stay 6 feet apart. Even in stores that were attempting to make it easy, it was obvious to Luke it was not getting done. Luke was shopping at Trader Joes where only 35 people are allowed in the store at a time. “I was doing my best to stay away from people, but others were not following the guidelines to stay 6 feet apart like you think everyone would,” Luke said.
We are proud and excited to announce the recipients of the 2018 Awards of Excellence, which go to high school seniors who are children of our First Responders and have demonstrated commitment to community.
The Awards of Excellence are made possible by our Booster Club.
- Izabela Gonzalez, Skutt Catholic High School
- Kacie Shields, Millard West High School
- Kayle Byrd, Bellevue West High School
- Reed Fitzke, Fremont High School
- Sierra Morris, Elkhorn South High School
- Ashlyn Dippel, Fort Calhoun High School
- Daniel Kirchofer, Creighton Preparatory
- Delaney Doyle, Bellevue West High School
- Holly Komenda, Raymond Central High School
- Josie Andersen, Papillion La Vista High School
The recipients were recognized at a ceremony at Champions Run on April 26th.
The Tri-County Fire Corps Exploring Program is a 10-week training program that gives young people a sense of what it’s like to be a firefighter. The program celebrated its first graduation earlier this month.
Youth participants receive instruction in CPR/AED, fire extinguishers, ropes and knots, hose rolls, search and rescue, ladders, hazmat awareness, and ventilation.
We are a proud sponsor of this effort that pulls together paid & volunteer fire departments in a joint training program – the first of it’s kind.
On Saturday, May 12 in Bellevue, First Responders Foundation in partnership with the American Red Cross were able to install 323 alarms and made 70 homes safer! We also sent volunteers to help.
Detectors are essential for your family’s safety – but not every home is equipped with these life-saving devices. Even if they are, the batteries may be missing or dead. Other homes may have a smoke detector but not a carbon monoxide detector, which is the only way to be alerted if the odorless, invisible, and lethal gas is seeping into an unventilated home.
Learn more and request a detector here.